One of my all time favorite French desserts…a classic Crème Caramel
Serves 6-8 portions
1 vanilla bean
2 l Milk
2 1/2 dl of Caster sugar (I replaced half with brown sugar)
1/2 tbls Lemon juice
2 tbls Water
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175° C. Cut the vanilla bean in half and put it in a sauce pan. Pour the milk over and let it simmer. Take it away from the heat and let it rest for a bit.
2. Pour half of the sugar into a dry pan. Add the lemon juice and the water. Let the mixture simmer while stirring until the mixture turns into a perfect caramel colour.
3. Pour the sugar into a 20 cm deep cake pan, turning it so that it sticks onto every piece of the surface.
4. Whisk the eggs and the rest of the sugar in a bowl for a couple of minutes. Add the hot milk. Strain the mixture through a sieve into the cake pan.
5. Place the cake pan in a medium baking dish; add enough boiling water to come half way up the side of the cake pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or until set. Remove cake pan from the baking dish; cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Serve with fresh strawberries or raspberries. I decided to make home-made sorbet to go with this (frozen raspberries mixed with a little bit of caster sugar)